Sunday, April 26, 2015

Georgia O'Keefe with Watercolors

First Draft

Final Draft

Georgia O'Keefe

I really enjoyed this project! It was much easier than I thought and quite relaxing.
Materials Needed:
Watercolors
Watercolor Paper
Masking Tape
Brushes
Pencil
Water
Paper Towels
Viewfinder
This is a great opportunity for students to experiment with color mixing and texture. It is also a great way to teach student to draw what they see rather than what they picture in their mind.
For instance, from looking at my examples you can probably guess the images are of leaves. However, I chose a point of view that challenged me to look beyond my image of a typical leaf.
When teaching this project, there are a variety of methods:
Students may walk around the room or outside using their viewfinder to discover different viewpoints.
If students have access to laptops or tablets they can search for an image of their favorite plant, animal, food etc. They can then crop their image in a unique way and print it out. They can then outline, in pencil, only what they see (lines and shapes) before beginning to paint.
Another fun option is to pass out different fruits to each student, have to student take a bite out of their fruit and then use their viewfinder to find an interesting angle.

Overall, I thought this was an excellent project and I will definitely be teaching it to my class.

No comments:

Post a Comment