Monday, April 27, 2015

African Mask 2


African Mask

As I was doing research for the Masks I was thinking about ideas that would work for second grade. I wanted something simple and with very little supplies needed, I feel like too many supplies overwhelms them. I saw a lot of masks that used just flat paper or paper plates, I wanted something a little more mask like so I was excited when I saw these types of masks. 
All you need is one piece of 12x12 card stock, scissors, something for the top (rafia or feathers), string and either markers or paint. First you cut about 4 inches directly in the middle bottom, then on the bottom two corners you cut about 6 inches diagonally towards the center.
Next you decorate your mask then you pull the cuts in towards each other and glue them. Each cut comes to a point for a chin and a jaw line, folding the paper bends the bottom perfectly around the face so all you have to do is tie a string around the top back to keep it on your head.
 I loved this because it was simple enough for second graders but would also challenge them, plus they would get to wear it when they were done. 

No comments:

Post a Comment